Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2013 corrolla has been having issues with the

Customer Question

Hi, my 2013 corrolla has been having issues with the speedometer. Ocassionally the speedometer and tachometer will not work and remain at zero, I live in an area prone to flooding and have drivin it thru some deep puddles in the past few months. I'm thinking that maybe my vehicle speed sensor was possibly got corroded or loose. I'm not the best mechanically incline but I did look under the car on the transmission to find it but never could locate it. Could I get a more described exact location of this please?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. You should scan for codes first. Usually the VSS will cause a fault code, but not always. It would also likely cause shifting problems in addition to the speedometer malfunction. To answer your question though, The VSS is located on the top of the transmission. I will attach an image.

I would like to know, when this happens, and they stop working, if you bang on the dash, do they suddenly come back to life? You may have a bad connection at the cluster. I would advise checking all connections well. The VSS should have no effect on your engine RPM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a1byvwtq8ts08o/vss.pdf?dl=0