Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

While driving in the rain earlier today, my brakes on my

Customer Question

while driving in the rain earlier today, my brakes on my 2000 toyota avalon xl started to grind. They would release, and then go attempt to stop the vehicle. I have been able to re-create the problem while driving without it raining, it only happens when i stomp on the brake as if it were an emergency, however it worries me that my brakes could fail in the future.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like your abs are activating which would be considered normal. The abs doesn't allow the wheels to lock up when stomping on brakes. Have you ever tried the abs on ice so you know what is feels like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in florida so not really.My concern comes with the fact that my ability to stop is severly hindered, while breaking i moved almost a car length, along with this theres a grinding noise on my front passenger side.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it ever happen without STOMPING on brakes? If not, then I'm going to say this is normal.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The purpose of abs is to maintain control vs skidding out of control. Sometimes the braking distance will be increased a little when abs activates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does happen with me stomping on the brakes only. It just seemed an odd amount to be stopping. However if that's a normal distance for abs to function then there's nothing I can do about it.Thank you dan for you help. Have a nice day!!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I am happy to help. ABS is definitely a strange thing when first using it, most people don't like it at first. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.