Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

No over drive, 1999 tacoma 2WD, NO cruise control. Coolant

Customer Question

No over drive , 1999 tacoma 2WD, NO cruise control. Coolant temp.188 DEg, trans temp 150 deg, question, there are 2 OD cut sw parameters on my scan tool(autel), OD cut sw 1 & 2. Cut switch 1 functions on and off when depressing button on shifter handle. Switch 2 shows on all the time. I was able to get OD once when parameter for sw2 showed off. Now it's back "on" again and no OD. What controls sw2? Bumfoozled! thanks, Bill.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

4 cylinder or V6 engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.4 V-6
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Let me look into the wiring diagram and I will get back to you.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Below are mechanical or manual canceling inputs for the cruise control to keep it from coming on or kicking off. Because this is an automatic you can rule out the clutch switch this only leaves the other three items. I'm not sure how your scan tool is listing that other switch input whether it's not seeing drive from the computer input or not. It's not listed here but the fifth item would be the brake indicator light if the parking brake was set or the low fluid in the brake reservoir is close to triggering the light that will kick the cruise control out also. Check all of those components and inputs. There is also a technical service bulletin that number is ***** this mostly had to do with the cruise control causing a delayed or late shift from 3rd to 4th when the cruise control is on. There is also an adjustment for the cable For the transmission. You can Google search that bulletin number and find a copy online. It may not apply but there were some issues with this ECU.

∗ Move the shift lever except to D range. (Park/Neutral position SW is off.)(A/T) ”A signal is not input to TERMINAL D of the
cruise control actuator with ECU.”
∗ Pressing the clutch pedal. (Cruise control clutch SW is off.)(M/T) ”A signal is not input to TERMINAL D of the cruise control
actuator with ECU.”
∗ Pressing the brake pedal. (Stop light SW is on.) ”A signal is input to TERMINAL STP- of the cruise control actuator with
ECU.”
∗ Pressing cancel SW. (Cancel SW is on.) ”A signal is input to TERMINAL CCS of the cruise control actuator with ECU.”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this truck is NOT factory equipped w/cruise control.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Standby

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really need to find what influences OD cut sw 1. Cut sw 2 is the OD button on the shifter. My wiring diagram seems to lead me to believe that cut sw 2 is cruise but I have no cruise.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is this a Column or floor shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Column, sorry for delays in answering, I am at work and working on other vehicles also.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

That's quite alright I work a full-time job and it's been a little crazy for me this morning. Seems like oil change central today. Here's the bot***** *****ne the computer i.e. engine control computer only has three inputs going to it if this had cruise control from the factory. Those inputs are primarily outputs to the cruise control module. That would have nothing to do with overdrive at this point the wires shouldn't even be in the connectors going to the computer so that can be ruled out. There really is only one other possible option. I got too focused on the cruise control option. If you are 100% certain that the switch in the end of the column makes the one input on your scan tool turn on and off every time with no inconsistencies that can be ruled out because there have been issues with the wires breaking and shorting out inside that column shifter and the switch itself. This will cause all kinds of problems with shifting into overdrive and the light may or may not come on. That being said overdrive is controlled by the engine control computer it looks for three things the input from the switch itself in the column the coolant temperature and the input from the brake reservoir sensor and parking brake switch. You need to make 100% certain that the reservoir switch and the switch for the parking brake are not intermittently sending a brake signal to the computer. Not all overdrive systems monitored the brake input but you need to check it to make sure. I don't remember on this older year. That has to be the other second cut switch that your scan tool is seeing there's nothing else reported. I forgot to mention that the other item is the drive axle reverse input it has the see the drive input to the engine control computer from the neutral safety switch. Your scan tool should be able to show you those data parameters for drive neutral in reverse. There is a remote possibility you could have a speed sensor input malfunction to the computer and is not seeing the proper speed from the combination meter however this normally will set a code P0500 if there's any inconsistencies there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still haven't found problem. Will continue testing. Still need to find what influences cut switch parameter. I'm sure that when I figure that out I can fix truck.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Okay let me know how it goes tomorrow. I was unable to find any information on the VIN as far as any codes that the dealer would've pulled from that system. The last time any codes were set was in 2013.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just as a side note, drove a 1999 Camry, 2.2 this afternoon. Same parameters available and both show "off" and OD works great.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you play with the override switches as I listed above the level in the brake fluid the parking brake and so on can you make switch one and switch to on your scan tool turn off 40 this will help narrow down the possibilities. If you do that on the 99 that should be the same logic on the other vehicle.