Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5. With the key in the On

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5. With the key in the On position, the check engine light is illuminated. The code is P1126. Any ideas what I can check/do as a homeowner? I do have a multi meter to measure resistance and/or voltage. Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The code is for the (throttle motor) magnetic clutch circuit malfunction. It sets if the amperage draw of the magnetic clutch is greater than 1.4 amps or less than 0.8 amps

Here is information on this code.

P1126 Magnetic Clutch Circuit Malfunction

Possible Causes

Setting Conditions
ETCS magnetic clutch has failed
ETCS magnetic clutch (+) circuit is open, shorted to ground or to voltage
ETCS magnetic clutch (-) circuit is open, shorted to ground or to voltage
PCM has failed

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

To run some tests/checks, this is what you are going to need to do..

At the throttle control motor monitor the clutch operation and verify that the computer is supplying the clutch circuit with a 12 volt square wave pulse signal. This will be hard to do using a voltmeter but at least you will know how the circuit works. With the key in the on position, check to see if the throttle motor makes a buzzing noise as the throttle is opened and closed. With the key off you can push the throttle plate open with your finger and allow it to close. The throttle plate should open and close smoothly.

If not, the motor is faulty

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would try and clean the throttle body first before replacing it. Use a soft wire brush or a toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner and gently clean off the debris on the throttle plate (top and bottom and both sides) as well as the throttle bore. Be sure to do a good job. Allow longer cranking time to start the engine after completing the repair as the air fuel ratio will be off and will result in a hard start (this is normal).

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of the throttle body assembly

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

Best Regards

Amedee