Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1997 Tacoma parked then wouldn't start. Have lights, dome

Customer Question

1997 Tacoma parked then wouldn't start. Have lights, dome lights, door lights, battery checks out fine. No wipers, no gages. There was no warning of a starting problem, no dragging starter. Any thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Do the lights go dim when you turn the key to start?

Also, please advise if thsi is an automatic transmission or a manual, and the engine type (4 or 6 cylinder)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they do not appear to. I had to go try them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 6 cylinder manual.

Before we do anything else, please remove all of the floor mats from the driver side. Press the clutch pedal to the floor as firmly as possible and retry to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will go try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that is an anti-theft device and the clutch has to be pressed to the floor. That made no difference and there is not even a clicking sound when you turn the key.

Is there someone who can helot you for a moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We need to see if the starter relay is activating. This will tell us which direction we need to go in. The starter relay is in the engine compartment in the underhood fuse panel. Please open the hood, open the fuse panel, locate the starter relay and have your assistant turn the key form off to start repeatedly. See if the Starter relay is clicking in the start position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, there is no clicking.

While we have the fuse panel open, locate the large fuses with clear plastic 'windows' on top We need to know if the 40 amp AM1 fuse is good.

We also need to know if the 30 amp AM1 fuse is good.

We can check power to the starter relay with a 12 volt DC testlight or DC voltmeter if you have one. This sounds like there is no power being sent to the starter relay to activate the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not find a 30. There is an AM230A or and AM1 40A
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if we have a tester. I do not know if we do or not.

Do you have a means to check voltage?

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, no means to test. I don't think I told you it wouldn't start by jumping either.

let's look at the 80 amp ALT fuse. See if it is OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we see if it is bad by the little green thing you can see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse is burned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband went to get one and I have to go to work for now. Thank you for all the suggestions, and I'm sorry it was long in between questions and answers. The pickup is a little ways out from the house and I was trying to get ready for work. Thank you again and have a great day.

You are very welcome. No worries. I know these things take time. Please advise if you need anything else