Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Have 2005 tundra with 4.7 it stopped charging so I had

Customer Question

have 2005 tundra with 4.7 it stopped charging so I had battery tested twice came out good. Had alternater installed still no charge . take battery cables off vehicle
dies
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allwo me to assist you. Please go to the vehicle and open the fuse panel under the hood. Locate the ALT-S fuse on the panel (7.5 amps; top row on the right side). If this fuse is blown, the alternator will not charge. If the fuse is good, I would have the replacement alternator tested on the vehicle. Never have an alternator tested off of the vehicle.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tested fuse good. alternater is working fine. what next

What is the output voltage of the alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right around 14 volts

Where are you measuring this voltage please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Measuring going into battery

If you are measuring 14 volts at the battery cables (battery connected), you are getting sufficient alternator output. You may not be getting the proper amperage output, but your voltage is correct. Note: on an alternator, when you remove the battery cables and the engine dies, you can easily cause damage to the internals of the alternator. What is the amp rating of this alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
130 amp alternater

What are the symptoms? If you have a good 130 amp alternator, outputting this amperage, and you have 14 volts at the battery, it is charging properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would not start one morning. I jumped battery properly and truck started. Took cables off and noticed amp meter was fluctuating between 6- 9 volts. Took battery out and had it tested at two places both said it was good. Being old school all that was left was alternater. Had that replaced and it acted the same. Battery is now dead

Sounds more like you have a parasitic draw than a bad alternator. You have a 12 volt DC testlight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually can't find light. Can I use meter

A light is better. Here is what I recommend: Charge the battery, 2 amps overnight, battery cables disconnected. Connect the cables and start it up. If it starts, shut it off and disconnect the negative cable from the battery post. Close all the doors. Clip your test light ground wire to the negative battery cable. Touch the pointy end to the negative battery post. If the light comes on bright, you have a parasitic draw. Pull fuses one at a time until the light goes out. when the light goes out, that is the circuit you need to investigate. Note that the light will come on bright when you open the door to get to the fuses under the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will put battery On charge tonight. Will go to auto store and pick up tester. Will do what u recommend tomorrow after work. How do check with you tomorrow. Also this truck has a external voltage regulater I believe. Could that be problem. I also don't understand draw theory because amp meter was fluctuating

If the battery is low the gauge will fluctuate Reply to this chat box; I will reply as soon as the site sends me an alert of your posting

As long as you are measuring 14 volts, we can rule out voltage regulators.