Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1998 Toyota 4 runner and what is doing is when you

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Toyota 4 runner and what is doing is when you turn the key off the oil pressure light stays on , the windows will still work and the blower motor will still work but the radio doesn't . I've unplugged the ignition switch but still doesn't help. What do I need to check?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If your oil light and other accessories remain on with the key off, AND with the ignition circuit disconnected form the back of the ignition cylinder, your have a short circuit. Not the kind of short circuit that blows fuses, but more of a 'cross circuit', where you have corrosion building up in a battery powered circuit (that is before the key switch); this corrosion is touching another wire circuit that is AFTER the key switch. We see this a lot in the shop. Located on the front of the fuse panel under the left side of the instrument panel, there is a small plastic box called the integration relay (sometimes called a 'body computer'). It is not a relay in the sense of a coil and contacts sending power, it is more of a unit that "relays' power to various circuits in the vehicle. It this unit somehow got wet (leaking windshield, body damage, door rubber not sealing, sunroof drains leaking, etc), the steel relay wires in this unit corrode. A white crystallized fuzz appears on the wires when they get wet. Eventually, they touch each other. This allows a circuit to be completed (just like turning the key on). This causes accessories to be on when they should be off, and lights to stay on with the key off. This will also run the battery down. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to locate the integration relay on the fuse panel and disconnect it. If the problems you have disappear, you need a new unit. Note that these units do not interchange with other vehicles, this unit is unique to your model's accessory package. Order the exact smae 10 digit part number that is on the integration relay from a Toyota dealer parts department.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the yellow box underneath the fuses?

Yes yellow or orange

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the harness going to that yellow box and it still did the same thing.

The integration relay mounts directly to the fuse panel. no harness

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The yellow is mounted to the fuse panel but it has a harness plugged to the front of it.

Pull the yellow box off of the fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try that tomorrow. Thanks. I will let you know

ok