Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Ron A year or so ago I crossed my Jumper cables blowing the

Customer Question

hi Ron im Dave .A year or so ago I crossed my Jumper cables blowing the ECTS fuse i changed thatand reset my lights but the lights have been on awhile when i tried resetting it said no power to diagnostic side of ECU I checked all my fuses both under hood and cab and nothing blown one of my 12 volt plugs work one doesn't?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I assume that you are using some form of OBD-2 scanner. Before you do anything else, take the vehicle to a place where you can get the car scanned. Autozone, PepBoys, etc offer these services for free. If you are getting a "no power to the diagnostic" on the scanner, there is something wrong with the scanner, the wire connector or the wires to the connector. Scanner connections are usually the main causes of this result. If the diagnosis side of the ECU was indeed bad, the car would not display a check engine light. The diagnostic portion of the ECU is responsible for the lights on the instrument panel. If the lights were not on, I would tend to agree that the ECU may be suspect (but would be rare)....See if you can get it scanned andf then get back to me with the codes they find. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i didnt get "codes" but it said ECS malfunction ABS malfunction and master cylinder pressure sensor which the car runs fine

In order to properly diagnose this issue we need the Diagnostic Trouble codes. Example: P0171 (which is a "fuel system too lean code"). Generic responses from low quality, or incompatible scanners produce "ABS malfunction". That is simply not enough to go on. If the ABS and master cylinder have problems, the ABS light should be on (but no check engine light). Exactly what lights are illuminated on the instrument cluster? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine VCS and traction control

This means you have at least two codes stored. One for the engine and another (maybe 2) for the ABS system. SInce the car runs ok, we can rule out a lot of possibilities. This leaves us with emission components. The lights being on indicate that the diagnostic portion of the electronic control unit is functioning. What you have to do next is get a scanner that can reproduce the fault codes or find someone who can do it for you.