Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have an oil leak at the back of my 5.7L tundra motor on a

Customer Question

I have an oil leak at the back of my 5.7L tundra motor on a 2008 truck with 288000kms. Two none Toyota mechanics thought it was the rear main seal so I hade one of them change it. The leak still persists now. The though was that if it wasn't the seal maybe it is the main bearings and the engine is worn. However there is no knocking or anything and it runs smooth. I was talking to one guy and he said it might be some oil collector frost plugs or something in that region above the crank shafts. Do u know of a common leak problem in this area or just think the engine has more play than the seal can hold?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Tundra.

Now when they replaced the rear main seal, did they inspect the rear main seal housing and the FIPG that seals it?

Were you able to see my last reply?