Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 toyota tundra limited 4.7L has 100,000+ miles, I went

Customer Question

2004 toyota tundra limited 4.7L has 100,000+ miles, I went to the gas station, ran inside to buy a water, came out and truck wouldn't start. It made just a single click. Knowing that's not a good sign, called the tow. Tow shOws up and jumps it with their little jumper Box. Drive straight to my mechaNic who has been my mechanic for over a decade, and when the car shut off, same thing as before I got it jumped. He tells me it was just a lose cable, but my battery should be replaced. Five days go by and no issues but now it was weekend and I had the time, got the new battery and replaced it. After that it starts and then just dies unless im pushing down the throttle. Got it towed back to my mechanics and was told they hooked the computer up to it but still have no idea why it won't idle
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** most likely means you have a dirty throttle body assembly. The computer compensate for the throttle being dirty so disconnecting battery reset computer. Unhook the battery cables, then clean the throttle body and plates and air bypass assembly, with the battery cables off. After the throttle body is cleaned and manually closed all the way, then connect the battery and start the vehicle, and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Throttle body spotless now but now it just takes 1-2 minutes to slowly wind down and shut off. Its like a wind up toy as it winds down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still wont idle without holding down the throttle. Even my mechanic says he has no idea. His guess is its the electronic board or wiring by the engine. Now that is a realm I have no knowledge in.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect battery cables and touch them together for 10 seconds, let me know if that helps anything. This will reset the idle strategy in the computer. Let me know, thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will in the morning. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks.​