Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

The air comes out of the vents very poor. Even when I change

Customer Question

The air comes out of the vents very poor. Even when I change the speeds the blower motors spins quicker but the airflow from the vents does not get any better
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you change the vent position from defroster down to the floor do you get much better airflow? Does the fan motor make any unusual noise or vibration when changing it to high? Do all of the fan speeds work normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do not see a difference when i change vent positions. all fan speeds work normally with no sound.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

It would be extremely unusual to see the blower motor obstructed but it is possible. If you are certain there's no vibration and you're still getting low airflow and all of the controls seem to work normally from defrost to vent to floor you need to remove the blower motor and inspected for damage or debris. There are three bolts that hold the blower motor up under the right side of the instrument panel simply look under the dash and you will see the blower motor housing with one electrical connector in these three bolts if you remove the three bolts and disconnect electrical connector it will allow you to remove the blower motor down out of the housing to see if there's anything obstructing the flow of air through there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have the blower motor taken out and looked in there. I do not see anything clogged. That was one of my first things I suspected. I could tell the blower motor was replaced before since there is a carquest label on it. How "freely" should the hamster wheel move. There is alittle bit of resistance but I think that is normal. i can actually see the hamster wheel spin quicker when I have the motor taken out and connected

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The squirrel cage should spin freely with very little drag the only drag would be the bushings and slight resistance on the brushes themselves. Did you make sure the air blend door is moving fully from hot to cold and not causing obstruction? The only other possible option is that over the years and debris has gotten in and plugged up the evaporator core. If you look in there with a flashlight or a borescope can you tell if fins are clogged up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the blend door moves freely. I noticed when its only on cold it blows a hair better. However, when you put it on hot it blows even worse. Hot or cold the air movement is very limited. I was able to gain very little access to the evaporator by loosening up the lower heater box cover. there was some junk in there. I blew it all out with the compressor and tried to blow out the evaporator as much as possible. I do not see a difference in air flow.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you are certain that the evaporator core is not clogged this only leaves the intake air to be an option or restriction. Make sure the recirculate door is moving correctly behind the glovebox and is not stuck so that the intake air is not entering into the blower motor and or if you switch to recirculate its drawing air in fully. If all that checks good then this only leaves you with a blower motor that is not spinning fast enough to what it's supposed to be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you run into this before where the blower motor runs at all speeds but produces limited air flow to conclude its the blower motor? It's hard for me to believe it's would be the blower motor. I see it spin at all speeds and its hauling @$$. Im not a mechanic by trade but do collision repair. I will have to recheck everything tomorrow morning.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

No I have never run into an issue with the blower motor not pushing enough air however I don't use aftermarket blower motors so I don't know how the speed compares to a Toyota blower motor. The bot***** *****ne is if you rule out that all of the doors are working correctly inside the box and there's no restriction in the evaporator core and there's no restriction on the intake side i.e. no blockage in the fresh air or recirculate door it can only be the blower motor. You might consider taking out the blower resistor I believe that is downstream from the blower motor and see if the air comes pushing out of that hole versus coming out of the rest of the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The blower motor was spinning the opposite way. Reversed the wires problem solved

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

That would explain a lot. Obviously they wired the motor wrong but simply reversing the polarity will solve that problem. Glad you got it resolved. Please do not forget to rate the information that I provided to you at three or higher.