Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

After sitting overnight, the car is hard to start. Just a

Customer Question

After sitting overnight, the car is hard to start. Just a click, and then try it again and it will slowly start. I replaced the battery but the problem persists. Before starting, I put my voltmeter on the battery terminals and it is 12.5 volts before trying to start. Whilst starting the voltage drops off to 10 volts and the second or third try, it will start. Once running the voltage is 14 volts at the terminals. Tells me that the alternator is working
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

It sounds like you know what you are doing but I have to ask, was it a brand new battery that you installed?

Does the starter make a click sound and been making it few a little while?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is new. The old battery was doing the same thing. When I try to start, the door locks engage and the starter clicks and the voltage drops from 12. 5 to just under 12 volts and on the third try the starter engages and it starts! It is 34 F and the car has sat for 15 hours overnight.

Sounds great. Does the starter click rapidly or like one click for every turn of the key? (Turn key= click, Turn key= click)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 click per key turn

Ok, that means that the starter contacts inside are bad and need to be replaced. Will you be performing the work on this Camry or will you take it to a repair shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know. Depends if I can use my friend's lift! What has to be changed? The starter, the starter contacts? By contacts, do you mean bolt connections? Male female plug connector???

For the Camry, you wont need a lift. Here is a video on where it's located and how it's replaced.

and here is a video showing how to replace the starter contacts on one of these many Denso Brand starters.

You can replace the whole starter if you prefer but it's not needed.