Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2011 Tacoma tailgate latch is not working, and I have a

Customer Question

Hi My 2011 Tacoma tailgate latch is not working, and I have a hard tonneau cover. Is there a way to open tailgate from the outside of the truck, to repair latch by removing the inside cover on tailgate- Thanks Bruce
Category: Toyota
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

No- is the handle unlocked? If so, it may just be a matter of the amount of play in the linkage becoming excessive, or the latches becoming corroded (or both)

Try pushing inward on the body of the handle mechanism, while still pulling the handle part outward. There is one pull rod going in each direction, and if you can get even one to release it will help as you may be able to shift the gate slightly to that side to help the other side release.

The only other (and least destructive) option is going to be to break the handle to access the pull rods behind it. You may find that you are going to have to replace the handle mechanism anyway if the pivot has built up too much play or is corroded.