Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My name is mobi. My car ac is not working. It comes on but

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** ***** car ac is not working. It comes on but the compressor doesnt pick. The fan is just blowing. What do you think could be wrong??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a toyota camry 2007 xle
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Mobi, thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Corolla.

Did this concern happen all of a sudden?

Have you made any repair attempts with this concern?

Will you be fixing this car yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your response.
Its actually a camry not corolla.Yes it just stopped all of a sudden today. But i kind of noticed that it hasnt been cooling very well.
I have not made any attempt to repair.
If its not a major problem, i can attempt to fix myself

I apologize for calling it a Corolla. With regards ***** ***** on an a/c system, unless you are a repair shop that is certified and has the special equipment, I would let a professional shop handle this type work.

As for what is wrong, it is that the system is low on a refrigerant charge. Basically, there is a low pressure switch that turns off the power to the compressor if the level gets too low. I would recommend that the system be charged up to full and then check to see if there are any leaks. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thanks for your response. I have taken the car to a repair shop and i am told that i will need to change the compressor and evaporator. I am still not convinced so i intend to get a second opinion. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I am with you on this. I'm not sure why they are recommending the compressor but most often when the evaporator is replaced, it is because it has a leak. I would start with replacing just that and then see if the system works, which it should. That will save you a lot of money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking the same thing because i know the compressor doesnt go bad like that. Even though they say it is not pumping properly. Please also confirm i am told to change the evaporator, the dashboard has to be removed. They say there is a leak from the evaporator. How possible is that?

Yes the dashboard has to be removed as the evaporator is located in the big black colored housing behind it. It is a very labor intensive job. Also the evaporator leaking is just like how a radiator can leak. The radiator heats up then cools down---expansion and contraction. The a/c evaporator is the same except it starts out at normal room temp and then gets really cold, only to warm back up when turned off.

This constant cycle of cool down and heat up leads to small cracks that develop and let the freon leak out. When the shop pulls it out, have them save the part and show you. We do this for any customer who asks us. It helps them to learn a little about their car while they also see what they are spending their money on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why am i still being charged for this service. I already charged 5 and 9 dollars and then today i get anoda 24dollar debit advice. Wat exactly is going on? Wat is the total cost for this service????