Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My wife and I were away the last two months and I

Customer Question

My wife and I were away the last two months and I disconnected the battery from our Prius. Last night I hooked it back up and now I get a message "Check Hybrid System." The car won't drive, but the electrical is back on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Did you check the 12 volt auxiliary battery in the trubk, does it have 12 volts, if less it has to be charged back up. Please use a voltmeter to verify, there may be enough voltage to tuern on the dash lights etc but the hybrid system won't work with less than 11.8 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a voltage meter
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you try to jump start with another car, there is an access point in the fuse box under the hood, open it and locate the red cover with a plus sign on it, attach the positive cable there and ground the negative (black) cable to any metal part, if you have any roadside assistance like AAA they can also come out and try this for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just called AAA. thanks.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns out that this did not fix the problem and I had to have vehicle towed to Toyota dealership.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I understand not much more I could do since it needs to be connected to a diagnostic computer to find out what the trouble codes are then go from there.