Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My tundra on the first start of day engine turns over like

Customer Question

My tundra on the first start of day engine turns over like for 4seconds before starting and if you turn off and back it starts normal any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Extended cranking on the first start up after a long period of sitting indicates the high possibility of a lack of proper fuel pressure in the fuel rail at the injectors. After the truck is turned off, there is residual fuel pressure held in the fuel rail via a small check valve that is built into the fuel pump. This is done to eliminate a long crank condition the next day. If the check valve is faulty, it allows the necessary pressure to bleed off and when you start the vehicle the next day, the fuel pump needs to repressurize the entire system from zero PSI back up to 35 PSI of fuel pressure. The proper way to check and verify this would be to fit a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and inspect the pressure when shutting off, and then reinspect the pressure when ready to start the next day. If the fuel pressure is zero the next day, the hypothesis is confirmed and a replacement fuel pump would be required. If you do not have a machanical fuel pressure gauge, a good auto shop shoul dbe able to do this for you. This really sounds like the check valve is faulty and the fuel pump will need to be replaced. It is also possible that the injectors are leaking the fuel pressure off. If thsi is so, you would have the odor of raw fuel coming out of the tailpipe after the 4 seconds of cranking. If not, we are back to the fuel pump needing replaced.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer