Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2005 Toyota Rav4, the drivers side window works 2-3

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Rav4, the drivers side window works 2-3 times then stops.
Could it be a thermal switch?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Welcome to Just answer. Please allow me to assist you. Yes, the thermal safety may be opening up which custs power to the window motor. This is common on older models. The thermal safety is a device that reacts to drag on the internals of the motor. The system is designed to stop working if someone had an arm or something out of the window opening and then tried to raise the window. When the window contacted the obstruction (in this case, an arm), the motor cannot push the window up. This heats up the motor a bit. The thermal safety is built ito the motor and, when it sees this increase in heat, it opens the circuit, effectively cutting power to the motor. When it cools off it works 2-3 more times than stops again. Another cause for this is dirt and grime in the window channel. If the interior of the window channels are really dirty, this dirt acts like brakes (another obstruction that causes the motor to heat up more than it should). This too will cause the thermal safety to open. The remedy here, more often than not, would be to replace the window motor. However, before I did that, if this car was in my shop, I would get a cn of 100% silicone spray, lower the window, and spray the edges of the glass/rubber channel area and let it soak in. Then wipe off the window as it raises. Maybe all you have is dirt in the channels. The silicone spray will make the window raise smoother.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to go buy a silicone spray and try this remedy, how do I get back to you if I need further assistance?
Also can you email the step by step manual pages for replacing the motor?
I have paid $20.00 thru Paypal and another $5.00 thru a Capital one card.

You reply right here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide step by step instructions for the motor? Is it possible for you to call me as well?

yes I can provide instructions. I cannot call you unless you request a live conversation.

There would be an additional charge of $34.95 that the site charges to speak to a live expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just bought the spray, I don't need to talk in person.
I will try the spray, I think the thermal switch is the problem,, so I think that the motor is weak, it's ten years old.
The car has only 40K miles on it.

The time factor is the issue. Mileage is not important when it comes to this issue.