Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a Prius. my door won't unlock. I've tried the metal

Customer Question

Hi I have a Prius. my door won't unlock. I've tried the metal hidden one but that won't unlock the door either.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

hello, thanks for posting

I'm afraid I have bad news, this usually happens when the 12 volt auxiliary battery in the trunk goes dead, since the door lock actuators need this voltage they will not react even with the mechanical key, when using this key you are turning a microswitch which commands the lock actuators to work, there is no mechanical connection between the lock cylinder and the lock actuator. You'll need to get one of the doors or the trunk open to replace the auxiliary battery, if you have any kind of roadside assistance they can usually get the trunk or a door open so you can get to the battery in the trunk.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

It may be easier to get the hood open, there is an access point in the fuse box that you can connect an external battery to or jump your battery from there