Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2002Toyota tundra...brake lights went out yesterday

Customer Question

I have a 2002Toyota tundra...brake lights went out yesterday and then everything on the back went out except blinkers.. What could the issue be??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Most likely, you either have severe corrosion/oxidation inside the wire connectors under the bed of the vehicle that feeds the taillamps, the ground wire has separated from the grounding position on the frame, or you are losing voltage. The main rear harness ground is a bolt screwed into the the frame rail on the driver side. If this ground is not making good contact, you will not have some lighting functionality. Experience with thsi exact issue (after changing over 200 Tacoma and Tundra frames) would lead me to advise you to first check the wire connections for corrosion. Then check for voltage at the bulbs with the brake lights on. If you have voltage, and the bulbs are good, you have the ground issue. Additionally, if this vehicle has a trailer harness fitted, it may be causing all of your problems. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply