Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Son has a 2003 Tundra, V6 with approx. 100k mi.

Customer Question

Hello. Son has a 2003 Tundra, V6 with approx. 100k mi. Intermittently, when he starts the truck, the truck will start but nothing else works other than the dome light and the emergency 4 way flashers. Nothing else works, headlights, tail lights, brake lights, gauges, radio, HVAC, etc. We can turn it off and try again and sometimes everything comes on just fine. I'm assuming it's an ignition switch but don't know how to check.
Don't know if it's related, but a few weeks prior his alternator died so we replaced it and the battery. Truck ran fine for several weeks before this issue started.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is it currently in the inoperative state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's intermittent. While trying to troubleshoot yesterday we turned the truck on/off about 4 times and about half the time everything worked normal, the other half it did not.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

In order to diagnosis I need the vehicle in the inoperative state to run voltage checks at specific locations. Can you reproduce and leave it in the inoperative condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work right now. Can you give me a list of things to check when I get home tonight? We should be able to re-produce it, usually just takes a few tries of turning it on/off.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes I will gather some things at lunch and post back.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

In the fuse box under the left side of the instrument panel using a 12 V test light make sure you have a good ground on your clamp or a simple voltmeter and have a good ground on your negative lead carefully back probe the little dimples of each of the following fuses and touch the metal tab inside the edge of the fuse. 40 amp AM1 fuse 25 amp power number one fuse 30 amp power number five fuse. In the fuse box under the hood check to see if there's 12 V to the 10 amp E TCS fuse and the 40 amp main fuse.