Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Matt.
I bought a replacement cover and extra complete

Customer Question

Customer: Matt.
I bought a replacement cover and extra complete key for my 2009 prius off amazon
I changed the cover on the OE key last night and made sure it locked & unlocked the doors which it did
then today I tried to program the new key using the chicken dance. The car never went into programming mode, key light flashing and it will not start using the old key with new cover
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In other words the old key with new cover will unlock/lock/alarm just fine, but will not start the car anymore
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Programming a Smart key requires a Toyota Scan tool and In not sure what you are calling the chicken dance method but its not uncommon for keys bought off the internet to not work. See the correct steps in the link below. If you do not have access to the scan tool then unfortunately you are going to need the dealer to do the programming for you. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Key%20programming%20Oct%2016.pdf