Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2005 toyota camry XLE, the a/c light kept on flashing. I

Customer Question

2005 toyota camry XLE, the a/c light kept on flashing. I changed the relay, compressor and the control panel but did not solve the problem. Please what could the problem be.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The AC light flashes for 2 reasons. One is a bad MG CL relay (for the compressor clutch, which you replaced). The other reason is a loss of RPM signal to the AC amplifier. This is a safety feature that Toyota has built into the circuit. When the AC compressor stops turning internally (ie failed and locked up), the power is cut to the compressor clutch (actually, the AC amplifier removes the ground form the clutch relay, which stops the power). This is done to prevent the belt form smoking and breaking due to a locked up compressor. Inside the compressor there is a sensor that measures the rpm of the unit. This is the additional wire on the side of the compressor. If your replacement compressors does not have this additional wire, you have the wrong compressor. The RPM signal is sent to the AC amplifier, where it is compared with the engine speed signal from the electronic control unit. If the RPM of the compressors is not within specs, the amplifiers cuts the power to the clutch relay and flashes the AC light. What you have here, assuming the relay is new and good, and the compressor is the correct one, is a problem inside the compressor speed sensor. If the compressors is used, the speed sensor is probably faulty. If the compressor is new/remanufactured, return it for a different one and tell them that the RPM sensor is faulty.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer