Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2005 Prius has no power .Can open door with remote

Customer Question

Customer: my 2005 Prius has no power .Can open door with remote only
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 4/5 days ago my son drove back home ,after parking he could not starts the car.Later used Jump starter ,engine starts but he did not take off Jump starter after a couples of minutes he heard a sound boom ! like some thing blew out !! and burning smell .I tried with jump starter or Battery no power came on !!
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait !
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am waiting for your response !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is any one there to answer me ?? When should I expect to hear from you guys ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been over 14 hours since I have paid you for a question I asked ,haven't heard from you a word !!!!!
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I apologize for the delay, the question did not list until 30 seconds ago. Might be a site issue. Most often, when we see problems like this in the shop, we find that the 12 volt Auxiliary Battery is discharged and needs to be replaced. Have you ever had your Aux battery replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new battery got 3 weeks ago from Toyota .

If the battery is new and not discharged, it is most likely that the gateway ECU is faulty. This is what the Aux battery powers up when the start is initiated. The gateway ECU then powers up the rest of the computers and the inverter that are onboard. There are tests for this, but require the use of the Toyota scan tool. This is not something you want to test without the scan tool or significant training on hybrid systems. Indiscriminate testing of certain circuits with a volt meter can and will damages the electronics, plus, touching the wrong wire can send a 300 volt DC voltage pulse into you which could cause you a large injury. . Your best bet is to have this vehicle towed to a Toyota shop where they can perform a thorough test of the various systems. I know this is not what you want to hear, but, this vehicle is incredibly complicated when it comes to diagnosis of the many computers involved. This is best left to the professionals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could be blown up during jump starts and the burning smells ,any guess ??

There is an important connection at the Aux battery. That could have smoked.

it is on the positive battery cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the noise boom !! any guess ?

that would be hard to say. Might be a 120 amp fuse popping, or, worst case an inverter failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that 120 amp fuse located ?

Fuse panel under the hood

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One I found 100 amp ,light blue color with 4 pin , looks ok. How to be determined or checked if its ok or not ?

The wire inside the fuse needs to not have a separation in the middle. If the fuse wire is one piece it is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you after I finish checking

ok

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse looks ok no seperation

You need to get this car to a dealer. Have them perform the complete hybrid system Health Check, and determine what pending hybrid codes are stored in the computers. Then move forward from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope they will not make me bankruptcy

Hopefully is is something small and inexpensive.