Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I Have camry 2004 4 cyl.it's overhating. notice rad fans

Customer Question

I Have camry 2004 4 cyl.it's overhating. notice rad fans will not run.with or w/o a/c on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Normally, the rad fans not working are because of faulty FAN 1, FAN 2 and FAN 3 relays This is assuming that the cooling system is properly filled, the radiator cap is holding 15 PSI, and has no air pockets in the system. Air pockets can cause the coolant to not circulate, which does not allow hot coolant to reach the temperature sensor. If you have a 12 volt DC test light, you can check the power flow into the 3 FAN relays. Pull each relay, and, with the key on, you should have power in 2 of the sockets for each relay. If you have power at each relay in 2 of the sockets, the relay is probably bad. This fan system is fairly complicated, as each relay depends on the operation of another relay to function properly. If you are not highly skilled in electrical diagnosis, you might want to let a reputable Toyota shop look at this before the overheat condition causes you a head gasket failure. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks.