Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Just got new brakes and now the check VSC system, ABS

Customer Question

Just got new brakes and now the check VSC system, ABS warning light, P/S warning light and brake warning lights are on all the time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Where did you have the brakes installed? Do you have any code numbers that would be set any of these ECUs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Les Schwab
What is an ECU and where would the code numbers be.
Also there is a light that says P/S
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

ECU is an acronym for electronic control unit or computer. Whenever these warning lights are illuminated there would be malfunction codes lodged in the computer's internal circuits. They are use for diagnostics. In order to check the power steering ECU for codes it requires a scan tool. The other ABS and vehicles skid control or VSC lights can get the codes retrieved by using a jumper wire in the diagnostic port under the left side of the instrument panel were a code reader would normally be plugged into. If you think this is something you might be able to do I can post more information on how to use that jumper wire to read any malfunction code numbers. Otherwise my recommendation would be to return to where you had the brakes done have them do a complete diagnostics because the problem wasn't there prior to the brake work. It's possible they damaged and ABS wheel speed sensor and this could of cascaded to the vehicle skid control system causing codes to set there then possibly causing an issue with communication with the power steering ECU which is the P/S. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.