Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2012 Toyota Camry; Traced a "clicking" noise (ignition key

Customer Question

2012 Toyota Camry;
Traced a "clicking" noise (ignition key only needs to be on. Engine doesn't need to be running) to a relay under the driver's seat that is above a 3-port plastic structure.
What is this relay for? Is it supposed to be mounted to something? The relay holder looks to have a hole in it - to mount it somewhere, by mine is just dangling loose.
Does the noise indicate that the relay is bad (possible cycling on/off quickly)?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

Does the vehicle start and drive normally?

Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed on your Camry like an alarm, DVD player etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have an aftermarket "Heated leather seat". Sometimes the noise will go away when the switch (that turns on the heating circuit) is turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I need to contact the folks that installed the heated seats (after market), as they are not TOYOTA??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle starts and drives normally.

Then that will be the issue here. Either the relay itself is bad or the seat heat pad is short circuited and causing this.

heated seats (after market)

Yes, the sooner the better. How many miles are on this Camry? Is the seat heater still under warranty?

I ask because the Dealer will not be able to help unless they were the ones who sent the car out to have them installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was purchased from a Toyota dealer, sent to the aftermarket seat installer, then delivered to me. I will contact "Katzkin", the seat installer and confer with them.I appreciate your assistance Genchi. Have a nice day!

My pleasure and thank you for allowing me to help. Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) as I strive to give Excellent Service.