sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

What's happening man

Customer Question

Hey John, what's happening man
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is going on here? Where is my original question and it keeps saying 8 minute wait time over the last hour... Originally it said someone is here waiting to chat and answer my question. Then it fed me into some "membership" . . . I hope my question gets answered by tomorrow morning or I want a hassle-free refund. This whole interface could me much more straightforward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you even have my original question or do I need to retype it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just retype it... Okay 1996 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 V6 . . . Driving tonight the check engine light flashed on and off and then solid, then on and off again, then solid again. Power was low on acceleration and it seemed to work hard to maintain highway speeds. Rough idle. Turned car off and back on. Same thing. Weird smell from the engine. Burnt-ish but not burning plastic. My hunch is something to do with spark plugs, coils, distributor, fuel injector, or timing. It would be good to narrow that down. Haven't gotten codes yet.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The engine light flashes when the engine controller sees a severe misfire. This could be an injector issue, ignition, cylinder sealing or valvetrain issues; it's possible that you have an issue affecting multiple cylinders such as poor fuel quality or a restricted catalytic converter.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes are setting. Do you know what codes are setting?

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to Autozone as I was planning to today and got the following code
P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire -
"confirmed" and "current" -
I'm replacing the spark plugs now. I need advice that will help me outside of this normal stuff I would be doing anyway to make JustAnswer valuable. Thanks for your help!

Note the condition of the plugs, especially number 6 when you remove them. Let me know how it runs afterward!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did, they looked fine. But I replaced all 6 and no change. I'm thinking either ignition coil or fuel injector but don't know how to tell which. I'm hoping you have some advice to help.

Have you checked spark on number 6?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't helping and it's been days. I'd like to cancel this question and get a refund.

Unfortunately I'm unable to help without communication.

If you would like a refund of your deposit you can do so from your screen.