Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

How important is original thermostat, on 1995 toyota four

Customer Question

How important is original thermostat , on 1995 toyota four runner V6 3.0 engine 2Wd. I replaced fan clutch and seems to be much cooler, ran a.c today and seemed like it was getting to hot. Gauge went to middle then back down. Thinking its air in system From after market thermostat?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You are correct in both of your lines of thought. The factory thermostat has a special valve that helps eliminate air pockets form the cooling system. If you do not have the factory stat, you do not have the air-bleed valve either. The stat needs to be installed with the 'wiggle' valve set at straight up position (the air is in the top of the stat housing. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to replace the thermostat with a factory unit, install it properly, remove the top rad hose and refill the system, and then bleed the air out by running it with the cap off until the thermostat opens (you will know when it opes because the coolant level will drop int he radiator.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer