Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a 2002 toyota tacoma. The original remote is an auto

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2002 toyota tacoma. The original remote is an auto mate 474A. I bought one on Ebay and want to program the remote as well. How do i go about this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Entering the Learn Routine Mode

To program a remote, the car must be ready to receive information. To trigger the Learn Routine, open the car door and make sure the dome light comes on. Insert the keys into the ignition switch and start the car. Immediately press the valet button. If it takes longer than 15 seconds between steps, the vehicle will not enter the Learn Routine.

Programming the New Remote

Press the valet button the same number of times as the channel that needs programming. Each button on the remote is a separate channel. In most cases, the first channel is the arm/disarm channel. This button allows the user to lock and unlock doors. Task each button on the remote with the desired function. Hit the valet button once for channel one, twice for channel two and so on, until all channels are programmed. After selecting the channel, press and hold the valet button. The car should chirp, honk or flash an LED light to show that it has entered the Learn Routine. If it does not, start the process over. Then, press the button on the remote that matches the selected channel. This should cause the car to chirp or honk again, to acknowledge the new programming information. If programming multiple remotes, keep depressing the valet button as each button on the remote is pressed. The car should chirp or honk for each new remote. Once all the remotes are programmed, release the valet button.

Things to Watch for During Programming

If the door is closed or the key is turned to the off position, the car will immediately exit the Learn Routine. When that happens, there will be one long honk or chirp to indicate the change. This will interrupt any current programming attempts, and might require users to start over. Another issue might be a failure to enter the Learn Routine. If the vehicle won't enter that mode, it might require a visit to the mechanic, as some vehicles have a jumper in the alarm that disables the programming features.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://imgur.com/DNA3QUf

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok when I follow instructions I don't get any reading at all. I did purchase this remote on ebay and was used. Do i have to deactivate first

You can try it. If that doesn't work the remote may need a new battery or be defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How would I reset a remote of this model to factory?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If the remote I purchased was used and programed already, is there a way of making erase memory and start fresh?

No.