Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have driven over 400 miles since my monitors were reset

Customer Question

I have driven over 400 miles since my monitors were reset and i still have 2 that wont clear
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Which specific monitors are not reset yet? Did you have any malfunction codes prior to this current problem with the monitor status not being complete?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure which ones but I think it's the catalytic converter and evap? The guy at the smog place told me to let the car warm up before driving to reset one and to drive on the freeway for a long time to reset the other. That was 200 miles ago and I have done both multiple times. All of them were fine back in August. The vehicle failed the MIL/check engine light due to OBD communications failure is what the original smog says. Everything else passed. My boyfriend replaced one of the spark plugs (I think that's what it was) and thats what reset the monitors
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

In your last reply you stated that it failed emissions due to the MI L/check engine light had OBD communications failure. This is completely different from the catalyst or EVAP Monitor test not being ready or completed. If you cannot get it to communicate this is a different problem either with the connector or power going to it that feeds the system. Do you have a printout of the failure check sheet that you can post here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is. I haven't actually tried to smog it since this one in august, just had the guy check if my monitors were reset
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

According to the picture that you posted it says in fact that the system failed because it could not communicate with the OBD port and system. You said you had a guy check of the monitors were reset was his scan tool able to connect to the system to see if the monitors had completed? Or did his scan tool state the same thing that it could not connect or communicate?