Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a 2007 toyota sequoia. It has a new battery and

Customer Question

I have a 2007 toyota sequoia. It has a new battery and alternator. When you start the car I'm still only reading about 9 volts on the dash abs the battery light is on. I cleaned the throttle body and my rpms are at 800 at idle (read that could be an issue). After I was done it was running great at about 14 volts. Shit it off and foot in an hour later back to 9. The check engine light is on so I hooked up the code reader and it doesn't even turn on? ?? Wtf. I put dielectric grease in the alternator wire connector as well.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sequoia.

Is this an aftermarket alternator?

Have you checked all the fuse going to the alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
except for the 140 main fuse bundle at the left of the fuse box. I don't know how to check it. I looked at the side window and the three diode looking things are intact

the three diode looking things are intact

Then it is good. Have you pulled off the new alternator and had it checked(to make sure that it itself isn't bad)

Is this an aftermarket alternator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alternator is a duralast from auto zone. And I had them tested it when I bought, or traded it out today

There are 3 wires colored Yellow, Black with Red stripe and White with a Red stripe. What voltages are you getting on those wires? (I am asking because you said all the fuses are good and that the new alternator is good so that only leaves us with a wiring issue).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have to check in the morning, no light right now ttyl

Ok. Thanks!