Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

My 2006 Toyota tundra will only start when jump started. I

Customer Question

My 2006 Toyota tundra will only start when jump started. I can drive it once started, however I have to keep the rpm's up otherwise it will die and not start again. the battery appears to be charged, but it will only click and not turn over. Is the problem the alternator?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you say battery appears to be charged, when it shuts off and does not start, what happens when you turn everything on like wipers, headlights, brakes, blower etc, does anything not work or work slow? do you happen to have a volt meter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The windshield wipers, radio etc works but it doesn't start. Rpm's also are also low if at idle for a period of time before it dies.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Need to reword, I had asked if you have a volt meter and,, when you turn everything on? everything you can , blower, wipers, headlights and all, does anything work slow? I realize you say battery seems ok, I am trying to confirm the battery is fully charged, This test with the truck not running and NOT starting, Hope this makes sense

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My voltage meter reads 10.6 volts. The windshield wipers do appear to be working slowly.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you get it running and volt meter ready, this is good as I can confrim what the problem is, If you can get running, put the meter leads on the battery terminal, I need the volt reading with engine running, even if you have to hold gas a little higher, Can this be done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will take a minute.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

no rush

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The voltage meter now reads 14.2 volts At a little over 1 Rpm's
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if I sent this but the voltage running at a little over 1 Rpm's is 14.2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall are you still there? Did I answer your question?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am here, just wrapping up another customer. back in 2 min

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

14.1-14.2 means the charging system is 100% working., You need 13.8-14.5 volts when running to show charge output, You have that. so, what is happening? your battery is not accepting nor holding a charge, meaning, weak/bad battery, Yes, I know things work like radio etc BUT, high amp draw items like starter? not enough battery amps to power the starter, It sis not running 100% as the computer must see minimal volts OR the computer cant control certain things, Iam 99% you need a new battery, Yours in not taking or holding a charge to 12.2 volts, yours is dropping to 10.6 etc.