Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 2WD w/ 87k miles. I started the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 2WD w/ 87k miles. I started the engine yesterday, started fine, then I heard clicking in the engine and check engine light and traction light came on. I drove it straight to Toyota dealer and just talked to mechanic. He said fuel sample was good, compression check with scan tool showed #2 with a misfire code, compression check manually on cylinder #2 showed no pressure, cylinders next to it were showing 180psi. The last time he started it he said he 'heard the valve drop and hit the piston', so he killed it. They're telling me I need a new engine.
I pulled the valve cover and discovered a broken spring. I did a borescope, but couldn't see any damage to the piston.
I understand the timing chain is difficult to remove and re-assemble perfectly. Do I have to remove the head in order to get the valve pulled back up and replace spring? What's my next step?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.