sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2004 toyota avalon xls. I went to get in it to go

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2004 toyota avalon xls. I went to get in it to go to work last night but it just cut off
Every thing come on gine. The radio works, the lights work every thing works. When I crank it it just goes right back off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you explain as to what goes off etc? I think you are saying everything works fine till you try to crank the engine? turn key to crank and lose everything? if so, after this does anything work at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to crank everything comes on. It cranks up a little and then nothing but everything still works. If I try to crank and hold the gas down it will run and when I take my foot off the gas the car will turn off.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** was not understanding, I am unsure and need to open the post up to the other experts, One should be along soon to help, Sorry I could not

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on. You may have an idle air control issue, possibly a loss of fuel pressure or another driveability issue that's making the engine run too poorly to maintain idle on it's own. A failing fuel pump will often cause a start/die situation, it could be an ignition system issue, fuel quality, or even cam timing.

The first step in diagnosing the problem would be to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm sorry, but what do you mean by codes?

When a control module sees an issue in a component or system it will set a fault code. Fault codes are read with a code reader or scan tool. Do you have at least an OBDII code reader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not.

Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Does it have something to do with the gas. Where can I get a fuel pressure gauge and what does it do.

A fuel pressure gauge will tell you what the fuel pressure is in the fuel system, it connects to the fuel line or fuel rail. You can sometimes rent a fuel pressure gauge from a big chain parts store such as Autozone.

If the problem did happen shortly after getting fuel then the fuel may be contaminated. It would be a good idea to take a sample to see if it's contaminated with water, diesel, or anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will try that. Do you think it might be the timing belt.

It's very possible that the timing belt may have jumped.