Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Having a hard time with my timing belt also the Lexus rx300

Customer Question

Having a hard time with my timing belt also the Lexus rx300 has a tensioner that bolts from bottom up the engine.. highlander bolts from the side which gives you no room to get the belt on when you get the bolt in it throws the cam off one tooth such a pain
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You can compress the tensioner before installing it, look for a small hole in the tensioner shaft, there is another hole in the tensioner body, compress the shaft back in by putting in a large vise until both noles line up, then put a stiff piece of steel thin rode that fits into the hole and leave about 1/2" sticking out, make sure there is less than 1/60" sticking out the back, install the tensioner, when everything is all lined up and there is only slack where the tensioner is use a pair of pliers and pull the pin out, the tensioner will adjust the belt automatically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I bought an oem timing belt, water pump, camseal kit with the pin in it still don't have enough play you have to force the belt on which always pulls one or more of the timing marks off have done numerous rx300s can't get this one right though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've even left the tensioner bolts loose or one out the belt goes on but when you try to bolt the tensioner up it mover rear cam off by a tooth or two
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, too keep the cams from moving use some clamps to clsmp the belt to sprockets, clamp the left side first then roll the belt over the firewall side and clamp it, then put the tensioner on and release it.