scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

1994 toyota corolla automatic brand new battery andbrand new

Customer Question

1994 toyota corolla automatic brand new battery andbrand new starter and I am getting only a clicking noise when I turn the key. The starter also sparks and sometimes the negative battery terminal sparks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Look for loose cable connections at the battery, loose cable connection at the starter,corroded/or not clean metal at either.Sparks would be the result of a difference in voltage and if its sparking at battery it most likely is a poor connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...I will check all the wiring and change out the battery terminals. If the engine is seized up could it cause the same sparking from the starter not being able to crank the motor over?
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

No this wouldn't cause sparks, it would cause starter to get hot and possibly blow a fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car initially died on a friend as he was driving and he said it seemed like it was not getting enough fuel. The Corolla has a fairly new alternator a brand new battery and as I was trying to start it with the new battery the starter got really hot after about 10 attempts and the new battery was smoking from the negative battery terminal. I then had the starter tested and it was bad but I could have caused that because with the new starter I am getting the same results. I only tried starting it twice because I didn't want to fry the starter. Should I check to make sure the engine is not seized. The timing belt looks ok but I have not checked the teeth on the sprockets
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

It wouldn't hurt to check if the engine was seized. This is more information now so I'm starting to look at this diffentley. That being said it does not explain the sparks, were the sparks happening before any repairs were make?

So the car was driving, felt like it ran out of gas, and then what (?) the engine wouldn't turn over after that? Or it would turn over but not actually start?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

If something happened with the timing it should turn over easier then normal.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Hi do you still require more assistance with this issue?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Pleas press "Finish and Rate" to rate the service provided.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Please press "Finish and Rate" to rate the service provided.