scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

I am having problems with my '06 avalon's AC. Sometimes it

Customer Question

I am having problems with my '06 avalon's AC. Sometimes it works great and other times it wont turn on at all.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Can you please elaborate on "turn on". Do you have air moving out of vents its just warm? Does the A/C light come on and blink? Does the Display for the A/C turn on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it works the pressures are what the should be, but when the AC cuts out the compressor does not turn off and the pressures reverse. The switches related to the clutch have been checked and both function as they should and my husband has replaced the ambient air sensor as well.
This may be all circumstantial, but i have observed the following: I have the most luck getting the AC to turn on when stopped and the engine is idling. It seems to work longest when it is on full blast (max blower/lowest temp). If I try to adjust the temp/fan speed it may turn on, but cuts out relatively quickly (with in 10-20 min).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - Air does move out of the vents, it doesn't change when the AC cuts out. No AC light and AC display is normal. Right after the AC cuts out the air becomes very humid. Oh, and the lines are not freezing up - freon is charge to the recommended level as well...
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me do a little investigating into this system, Ill be back soon.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you - It is a limited...not sure if that matters or not with the AC
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

I see you said no A/C light, when you push the A/C button a little light comes on on the button, when the light is on the system is operating normally, if the light starts to flash it means there is a problem with the system. Please confirm that this light comes on when the A/C button is pressed, and let me know what happens to the light when it stops working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ac on indicator light turns on and stays on even after the ac quits working. It never flashes
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and there is no clutch on this system, what you see turning is a pulley. It uses whats called a swash plate compressor which does not need a clutch to run. Just letting you know this is normal to always spin.

Has there ever been any work do to the A/C system? or has vehicle ever been in an accident that may have caused the A/C system to be opened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Neither.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband says there is a clutch...
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

2006 Avalon with 2grfe engine? right?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

My apologies I had the wrong repair manual open when I was looking at the compressor. Yes it does have a clutch.

If the A/C does truly stop working,but the clutch is still engaged the A/C light should start to blink when this happens.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Try this attached diagnostic procedure an see if you can receive any information from this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried this and my husband tried as well and we got no where - I'm not sure if we were doing it right or not. Could you elaborate on the instructions?
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Yes let me see if i can find more detailed instructions.......

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

So you tried pressing Auto and Recirc button at the same time then turn key on with holding those two buttons down? and nothing happens?