Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

My fob stopped working with my 2002 Toyota Sienna. I

Customer Question

My fob stopped working with my 2002 Toyota Sienna. I purchased a new battery and replace the old. It didn't work. I looked up the programming instructions online and tried multiple times (open door, cycle lock 5 times, close door, etc). At the end the car is supposed to auto cycle the car locks and mine doesn't do that...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

did you Test the FOB / Remote to see if it is "Transmitting a Signal"?

Do you know what Frequency it is Transmitting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot tell if the remote is transmitting a signal. I do have a volt-meter if there is a way to electronically test the remote. I know it's transmitting on the right frequency because it just worked yesterday with the car. I don' believe these remotes have the ability to change frequency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can also purchase a new fob online ($60 and return if it doesn't work) but I'm more focused on the fact that my Sienna is not responding correctly to get into program mode after I enter all the proper commands to get the car into program mode. I guess I'm approaching this from the car out to the remote vs. the remote to the car (which is what you are doing).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
steps to enter car into program mode:
1. Start with the following conditions:
a) Key is out of the ignition
b) Driver door is open (all other doors are closed)
c) Driver door is unlocked (other door locks don't matter)
2. Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) and pull it out.
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a)Using the power lock/unlock switch on the driver's door (with the driver's door still open and unlocked), perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. A lock/unlock cycle consists of pressing the power lock switch, followed by pressing the power unlock switch on the driver's door panel. Use an even pace and try to go relatively fast.
b)Close, then open, the driver's door.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a) Using the power lock/unlock switch on the driver's door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock, as you did previously.
b) Turn the ignition to "ON" (as far as you can go without cranking your engine), then back to "OFF".
c) Again, turn the ignition to "ON" (as far as you can go without cranking your engine), then back to "OFF".
d) Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle (lock then unlock) automatically, indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.
6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
a) Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter (the remote) simultaneously for 1 second.
b) Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, hit the lock button by itself and hold it for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle (lock then unlock) once indicating successful programming. If the door locks don't cycle, or cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b, as this means the remote has not been accepted.
c) Repeat steps 6a and 6b for each transmitter that will operate the vehicle, including any old transmitters.
7. Close driver's door.

ALL Remotes have the ability to "change frequency", just from moisture intrusion, damage, dropping, etc.
Some even have "rolling code" where the Frequency changes every time it is used
You need to Test the Remote to see if it is Transmitting a Signal
Many Auto Parts Stores can do this for FREE, Toyota Dealer & some Car Stereo Shops

.

I know the steps to Program & the info you posted points to NO Frequency received........one step at a time......Do not purchase anything, until you have the Remote tested

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I didn't know that. Let me call a few parts stores in my area O'Rielys and Pep Boys to see if they have the equipment needed to test my remote.

thanks

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure. will do. I just found out that O'Riellys does have the equipment. So I'll check it out and get back to you. txs.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Toyota Dealer had the equipment to test the Remote and it was Transmitting a strong Signal (with the new battery it was at the top of the range). So the Remote is fine. What next?

.

was it the correct Frequency?
IF so, then you will need use of Dealer Scan Tool to Test & Program the Keyless Entry Module, as there is no customer input

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dealer told me that the steps to enter the car into "program mode" are listed in my above response. I cannot get the car to go into the program mode.

I never posted to "Program your Remote", as you have already said that it does not work.
I posted for Dealer to Test & Program the Keyless Entry Module, as that is what receives the signal from the Remote

apprx 1 hour labor