Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 1998 Toyota 4runner randomly makes a helicopter noise. It

Customer Question

HI! My 1998 Toyota 4runner randomly makes a helicopter noise. It doesn't matter if the air is on, if I'm at a stop or if I'm driving. Any ideas. Thanks ahead!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your 4Runner.

Could you tell me a little more about this noise concern?

I take it that the noise will happen whether or not the 4Runner is moving or not?

It comes and goes away?

Where would you say the noise is coming from? Front or Rear of the vehicle? Passenger or Drivers side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happens whether moving or not.
It comes and goes.
It's definitely coming from the front of the vehicle. Not sure if it's passenger or driver side. It seems to be in the middle but maybe the back of the engine.

If you turn the air conditioning (not the fan that blows the air inside the vehicle) off, does the noise go away? Maybe not sure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it sounds with or without the air conditioning on.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Please allow me to assist on this request. A helicopter noise is most likely a bad fan clutch that is located on the cooling fan. This unit is in place to disengage the cooling fan when the vehicle is moving rapidly down the road (the air passing thru the radiator negates the need for the cooling fan to pull air thru the radiator to cool it). If the fan clutch is bad, the engine area will make a helicopter - like noise