Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2002 toyota tundra 5 spd manual transmission wil not move

Customer Question

2002 toyota tundra 5 spd manual transmission wil not move vehicle
Category: Toyota
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Do the rpms go up? Are you able to put it into any gear or does it not let you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RPMS go up Does not go into gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like if in neutral and no noise

The problem is the clutch is worn out. This is not allowing it to get into gear. You are looking at 127.00 and 5 hours of labor to complete the job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not clutch clutch is ok so never mind I will find local help

If you put the vehicle into gear and try to release the clutch and nothing happens this normally is a bad clutch. But if your unable to put the vehicle into gear while the engine is running this would be a bad pressure plate. Reason why nobody likes to answer these questions is it is never a quick easy fix and we get punished with customers who dont pay or leave negative feedback. But I still tried to help out as I did not want you to be sitting here without getting help. Maybe I did not understand the question, but I will do whatever I can do to help. I have been working on cars for a very long time and manual transmissions are very simplistic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have mentioned that the clutch had been checked it is not clutch I think it may be a electronic problem . I will find out

I will open this up and see if the other experts have more input for you.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Different expert here. Please allow me to add into this request. I agree with my colleague C.Walker...this really sounds like a clutch issue; he is very correct on every statement he has made. The questions I have for you are as follows:

With the engine off, can you put the trans shifter into any gear?

If you can put the shifter into any gear, select first gear. Then release the park brake and push the vehicle forward. Advise if the vehicle moves or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be proper I have been involved in repairs to heavy vehicles so I do not need the basics of checks I know how to I am not familiar with Toyotas so thanks any way

I am trying to determine if the shift fork is the cause of the issue, or the transfer case is in neutral.