Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a22re engine that sat 4 months. Tried to start and

Customer Question

I have a*****22re engine that sat for about 4 months. Tried to start and only runs a couple of seconds unless spraying starting fluid into throttle body.
Noticed fuel rail dampener was leaking so I replaced that. Still same, replaced fuel filter. still same. Pulled and cleaned injectors after releasing the banjo bolt and gas is squirting out after I turn on the key. No results car is still only running about 1-2 seconds. Trying to figure out what is wrong since I drove and parked it where it sits about 4 months ago.
walt
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Let's bypass a relay that may be bad, and, at the same time, we can check the fuel pump operation

Locate the diagnostic box under the hood. When you do, open the lid and look under the lid for the label. Locate the sockets B+ and Fp. Jump the 2 sockets together with a piece of wire or a paper clip, then try to start the engine. If it starts, we have a bad relay. If it does not start, you have a bad fuel pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been googleing where the diagnostic box is and can't find this feature on a*****under the hood. Since it is a plain jane car there a number of round connectors that don't connect to anything.
I have fuel pressure at the BANJO BOLT on the cold start injector, at least is squirts out after trying to start it.
Do you have a picture to see this box?Walt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to determine the fuel pump runs with the key on by flipping the door in the air flow box on the air filter. By doing that the car will run about 3-5 seconds. I can repeat this process over and over by waiting a few seconds between tries.
Still unable to get it to continue to run.Walt

The issue here is the starter circuit and the air flow meter door circuit both control the same relay. The circuit opening relay is responsible for the fuel pump operation. If you open the air flow meter you send a ground signal to the circuit opening relay that activates the fuel pump. More often than not, when we see this type of issue, we usually suspect the circuit opening relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then why doesn't it continue to run when I hold the air flow flap open with a shop cloth? Wouldn't that keep the fuel pump running and therefore continue to supply fuel?

If the circuit opening relay is not completing the circuit to the fuel pump the fuel pumps stops. If it runs on starting fluid you have a fuel pressure issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so when I hold the air flow flap open the fuel pump continues to run, however the car will not. Does the fuel pump stop after a certain period of time if the air flow flap switch continues to complete the circuit? Sorry, I am not following the logic of the fuel pump stopping if I am forcing, by holding the flap open, the circuit to be completed for the pump. If it does not stop, then the engine should continue running by being provided the gas needed if the injectors are operating.
Current status is I hold the air flap open to engage the fuel pump and the car will only run about 3-5 seconds. I do not release the flap to open the circuit or use starting fluid at this time and it will still die.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that the fuel pump is not keep up with the pressure required?

Absolutely. You need at least 30-32 PSI of fuel pressure. You can test this by fitting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge where that banjo fitting is you were speaking of. If you have less than 30-32 PSI, you need a new fuel pump, or, the fuel pickup in the tank is clogged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get that tested but need to build an adapter for my pressure gauge. Hope to get that done Wednesday.

ok