Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My steering wheel is locked in both directions s and key

Customer Question

My steering wheel is locked in both directions s and key wont turn in ignition. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like the anti-theft feature is active inside the steering column. Here is what to do:

Grab the steering wheel with your left hand and try to turn it as hard as you can while, with your right hand, turn the key. You may need to try turning the wheel to the right; depending on which way the front wheels are turned.

You really need to turn the wheel with some force to release the pin that is bound up in the steering column. The pin is what locks the steering wheel if someone 'hot wires' the car. Even though they could start it, they cannot drive is as the wheel will not turn.