Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 1997 tacoma will crank but not start. New fuel pump, but

Customer Question

My 1997 tacoma will crank but not start. New fuel pump, but no power at the plug to pump now.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Was the check engine light on prior to the no fuel condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trucks been sitting for a couple years. Pulled tank, drained cleaned and new pump.

I suspect you may ha faulty circuit opening relay. This unit is responsible for powering the fuel pump. We can check the circuit is you have a DC volt/ohm meter and a 12 volt DC test light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled that relay but I am going to have to find the equipment to check it. I th8nk I have a simple test light and a simple volt meter. I am no electrician.

4 or 6 cylinder engine please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4cyl 4x4 5speed base tacoma 69,000 miles does have a/c

Attach the clip of the test light to the battery negative terminal. Turn the key on and place the pointed end of the test light into all of the sockets under the circuit opening relay. You should have power in 1 socket. Then have someone crank the engine, retest all of the sockets, you should have power ina different socket.