Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a block assy, fusible link Toyota venza 2013 the

Customer Question

I have a blown block assy, fusible link Toyota venza 2013 the interior fan is not working. I have the part however when I disconnected the battery and put in the new fuse, reconnecting and tightening the red terminal first then the black it has blown again......What am I doing wrong???
Category: Toyota
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

You have a direct short to ground. What fusible link are you replacing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is part number 82620-48100, the part says block assy,fusible It is just under the hood in the fuse box, long narrow and orange
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I have to do to not have it blow when replacing it

Yes this is the main fuse. It will keep blowing it if there is anything touching the positive cable. Are you for sure connecting the positive and negative to the correct posts? Did the battery get discharged at anytime possibly reverse polarity? We have to find out where you have a short to ground. That is what is blowing the fuse. Do you know why the fuse blew in the first place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently, my car was boosted backwards to begin with, and I got new battery. I put the new fuse in and then connected the positive cable and then the negative, that is the correct thing to do?

I think that the battery maybe reverse polarity. You can check this with a volt meter. If it is -12 volts that means it is backwards. You will need to discharge and recharge the battery to fix this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unsure as to what you mean....The battery itself is the problem?

Yes if it gets charged the terminals will actually produce current backwards. So the positive will be negative. You can have this tested for free at the local parts store. But if you have a voltmeter we can do it ourselves. You may just need to replace the battery at this point and be done with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a brand new battery, and How would my vehicle be running okay if that were the case. This is the second fuse I have tried to put in and I didn't realize the first time I did it I should have hooked the positive up first then the negative it blew then right away. I tried it again and hooked the positive first and then the negative and it still blew the fuse

The vehicle will run but the alternator will not charge. The problem is not how you are hooking up the battery. What is going on here either the battery got charged backwards or there is a short to ground. That means there is a ground touching the positive cable or where the fuse connects. If there is anything it will instantly blow the fuse. What we need to do first is verify the battery did not get a negative charge. This will make the battery negative instead of positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the cause of the battery getting a negative charge when it was brand new. I do not have a volt meter to see if that is the case.

If it gets a charge or boost backwards this will cause it. That is what I thought you stated earlier when I asked what was the initial cause of the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the other battery I had it was boosted wrong but the day it happened I got a brand new battery......So this one has never been boosted

Okay, we need to find out where there is something touching the positive.

Many times the positive cable will be touching the oil dip stick. Follow the positive cable and see if it is touching anything metal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the battery and the connection were not touching anything, I took out the fuse and the put the new one in, connected the positive terminal and tightened, then I connected the negative terminal and as soon as I touched the negative connector to the post it blew the fuse....Both connectors/ wires were touching nothing at all. Then negative terminal had a little spark when I put it on the post

That fusible link goes from there to the battery positive. So there is something between that and the positive battery cable that is touching a ground. Piece of metal or wire. I am going to open this question up to the other experts maybe they have some more information for you. Please stand by.

Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Venza.

Besides changing the battery, have you made any other repairs?

All you did was replace the battery and this started happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needed a boost one day, so the person boosting me boosted me backwards do it blew the fuse. That evening I got a new battery and waited for the part to come in, I put the new fuse in and this started happening. No other problems or repairs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse blew because of my old battery boost

I see. Has the vehicle started or run since you replaced the battery with the new one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been having no other problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blower fan inside is the only thing not working, because of the fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to save the labour and do it myself but it seems that I should have had Toyota install it after all....... I don't understand why the fuse blew again.

Ok, we need to be clear here because this can get confusing if not. The Venza now starts and runs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the name and amperage of the fuse that is blowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The package around the fuse I got from Toyota is Block Assy, Fusible Part #82620-48100 I do not know the amperage

Ok so now the only concern we have now is that the interior fan (for the heating/air conditioning) doesn't blow air, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct

Can you look in and see all the fuses in that fuse assembly? Is any of them blown open(if you can tell)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is one that is blown it is the one closest to the windshield when it is in its correct place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are ten little connections in the fuse

I was just looking at the wiring diagram and you are doing a great job. That 50 amp Heater fuse only powers the air conditioning portion. I think that I read earlier in your previous conversation that you don't have a MultiMeter to continue further diagnosis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct I do not

Ok, unfortunately this is about as far as we can go together and will need some hands/eyes on with a master technician. The problem will be most likely with the blower motor itself and this should be verified with testing before any additional parts are replaced.

From what I can tell, you did a great job. The sad news is that there is still a problem (not sure why) with the 50 amp Heater fuse blowing. It is most likely due to the jump start (boost) that was performed also caused this concern. I don't want to see anymore of your money spent without solid results and a fix.

Is there a Dealer or Professional repair shop nearby that you trust with this?