Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra trd Off-Road 4 W/D with ABS.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra trd Off-Road 4 W/D with ABS. Replaced 2 rusted, broken, brake lines and bled all 4 wheels - then I pressure bled each wheel. Brake pedal goes to floor. What did I do wrong ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The issue here is most likely rust inside the bore of the master cylinder. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture. This causes rust to develop inside the master cylinder; traditionally where the plunger and seals do not ride. Blow a brake line, the seals move farther in the bore, where the seals rub the rust and this damages the neoprene seals, which lessens your potential pressure (ie the pedal goes to the floor); the pressure is not being pumped to the lines as fully as possible, the pressure is bleeding back past the seals. There is one thing to do before you condemn the master cylinder though. With the vehicle on the floor (do not raise it), locate the Load sensing Proportioning valve under the frame at the left rear of the bed. There is a bleeder there. Press and hold the brake pedal, and then loosen the bleeder. WD 40 before hand would be a good idea as they rust. Look for air bubbles. Close the bleeder and let off the pedal. DO not pump the pedal. This causes the air to break up into tiny bubbles. Repeat this process until you see no air. Then re-bleed all of the brakes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to wait until a do this procedure before I respond.

Thank you, ***** *****

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will not be performing this bleeding procedure until the first weekend in October followed by a replacement of the master cylinder. Therefore, I cannot submit an accurate satisfaction rating until I complete these procedures.

Respectfully yours,

***** *****

OK. Just remember to spray WD40 on the bleeder on the unit in the frame. Now would be a good time to start, because you will break the bleeder off if it is not sprayed with penetrating oil.