Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have replaced the starter on 98 Camry and still it is only

Customer Question

I have replaced the starter on 98 Camry and still it is only a whining [it works ] sound but is not engaging the flexwheel. All teeth are there and not rounded, it appears as normal. Had starter tested and it extends fully and "passed". Any suggestions ? Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help you with this one.

That sounds like a broken flywheel, or a seized engine.

Are you certain that the engine isn't locked up? Can you put a socket on the crank pulley and get the engine to turn over by hand?

When you removed the starter to look at the flywheel teeth, did you try to move it? I have seen the flywheel break loose from the crank and spin without turning the engine, only on the automatic transmission model though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine turns over w/ 3/8 drive ratchet, "not seized". Flywheel is rock solid and moves w/ turning. All teeth are there and do not appear rounded. Any other thoughts ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Was the same thing happening with the old starter?

Is there a possibility that the new starter is the wrong part?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I supposed there could be a possibility that the crankshaft has broken. Was there any indication of engine problems when it last ran, or did it just not start back up one day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is identical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running well , no indication of engine problems at all , went to start and get only a whine sound " engine not turning over next a.m.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

To check for a broken crank shaft you can pull all of the spark plugs and look down each plug hole with a flashlight while turning the engine by hand. If you can see each cylinder reach the top and go back down then the crank is ok. If one or more cylinders never reach the top, then the crank is broken.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I just wanted to see if you needed any additional information. Also, if I have been of some assistance I would appreciate a positive rating.

Thanks!