Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota Prius, 2005. If this car hasn't ben driven periods

Customer Question

toyota Prius, 2005. If this car hasn't ben driven for long periods will this affect the battery?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius.

I take it that you haven't bought this Prius yet. Have you had a repair shop you trust take a look at it and give you an overall inspection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, a friend is selling it. It belonged to a family member that died last year and has been garaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read online that it isn't good for a hybrid battery to remain uncharged

This is very true and am glad that you asked before you made this potential purchase. At a minimum, if you were to buy this Prius, be prepared to have a main battery and AUX battery installed in the vehicle at a worst case. Me personally, these can be a pain to deal with with respect to the cost of parts and finding competent techs to do the work. Most often the Dealer is the best option but we can be expensive. These are things that need to be taken into account with regard to the purchase price.