Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

I replaced the lock cylinder and key on a 2002 toyota

Customer Question

I replaced the lock cylinder and key on a 2002 toyota corolla. In the process, I removed the part that slots into the rear of the lock cylinder and apparently inserted it incorrectly. The key is now stuck in the On/Start position and will not not move back to the ACC position to allow me to remove the part the slots into the ignition switch itself. I can drill out the pin in the cylinder but need to know how to properly position the pin that fits into the rear of the lock cylinder and inserts into the ignition switch itself.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

see attached

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the pin that fits between the lock cylinder and ignition switch is apparently not in the right position, I'm looking for a way to seat the pin properly.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I dont have that diagram so I will opt out and open to other experts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks man.
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.

No problem, get the ignition cylinder out (of course), then turn the key in the ignition cylinder to the ACC position while it is still out, then use a flat head screwdriver to turn the ignition switch to the ACC position, then they should go together properly. (they often get mis-aligned when they are seperated).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a pin that slots into the back of the lock cylinder and inserts into the ignition switch. What I need to know is how to insert that piece properly. I've wrestled with it for quite awhile so I have to guess there's a specific method for seating it into the ignition switch before installing the lock cylinder.