Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

I have a 2000 Toyota tundra starts but stalls. When I press

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Toyota tundra starts but stalls. When I press the gas peddle it wont go unless I am at full throttle. This happen before but when I turned off the truck it was ok when I restarted it. Now it wont reset. Someone told me it was the throttle sensor.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd 1st suggest cleaning out the throttle body as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

I'd also check the condition of the connections to the throttle body electrically, disconnect it and inspect for corroded pins and any wiring damage

if this is OK then the throttle body may have to be replaced

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can appreciate your suggestion, however when this problem first started i was driving. I was told by a mechanic that a senor was bad or dirty and if I pulled over and turn the truck off for a few minutes the sensor would reset. I did that on several occations and it reset and the truck drove fine. Also I noticed that my cruse control would not work when I had this problem. I wouls turn on cruise control and if I saw it go off I new it would happen again and it did but again pulled over turned off truck and restarted and it was fine. That does not sound like a dirty throttle body to me. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok its an electric throttle on these, which if gummed up with carbon will struggle to move properly and then shut themselves down - hence my suggestion of trying to clean it out

if this doesn't help then its likely to be an issue with the throttle position sensor, which is built into the throttle

so the next action would be to replace the throttle body