Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Tundra initially the dome lights come on when open the door

Customer Question

Tundra initially the dome lights come on when open the door but when put the key in ignition and turn there is no power no dome lights no sounds nothing. Take keys out still no power anywhere. Tried jumping and bypassing the battery still nothing. I had the battery checked and it is good. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, I get the initial problems, dome light till turn with key.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Have you checked the fuses in the box under the hood, the large 140 amp alternator fuse?

Is there power to any of the fuses in that fuse box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the fuse box under the hood there is not a fuse where the ALT 180A goes, just a bolt and nut.
How can I tell if power is at the fuse box?
Correction this is a 2007 not a 2008.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply

that bolt and nut should have a large cable attached to it, it comes directly from the battery, do you have 12 volts at that point? Is it a V8 or V6?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see it is connected to the battery. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a field without a meter. Is there another way that I can tell?
V8
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

A 12 volt test light will work. Let me attach a photo and let me know if your fuse box matches it. Please stand by for a moment

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

e727bb5c-2158-461d-8622-42d3b9cac12f_IMG_20120617_171229.jpg

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

If the picture doesn't show just click on the link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks different, attached is a pic
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply,

The bolt is shown at the lower left, it should have power to it, right next to where the bolt is an integrated fuse link assembly, there is a god chance that some of the fuse segments are burned out, the white cover has small windows so you should be able to inspect the inside of the fuses, the cover can be removed. I would still like to verify that there is voltage to the post from the battery but you may see some burned segments inside the fuse assembly, it can be replaced by unbolting the 10mm nut where the cable is and there should be another bolt on the other end , let me know if you need help figuring out how to replace it.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

hello, just checking to see if you've had any success with what I have recommended or if you need any additional information, please let me know.